The Systems Administrator is responsible for maintaining and configuring USRetina systems, managing and supporting users, and helping to manage our cloud environment, among other related duties. The Systems Administrator will handle system administration, manages cloud-hosted systems such as Office 365 and AWS, helps unify the user experience using single sign on, and analyzes system logs data to find details and manage security. This position also requires supporting data needs of clients, teams, systems, and products as well as supporting next generation of products and data initiatives.
- Design, plan and implement upgrades and changes to US Retina computing systems, ensuring reliable, secure operation of network and cloud hosted systems and related automation jobs.
- Install and upgrade computer components using a systematic, test-driven approach: Run diagnostics, document problems, and plan & implement resolutions. Troubleshoot and test problems under controlled settings, prioritize resolution, and assess impact of issues.
- Author clear, detailed technical specifications to IT staff for planning and implementing new or upgraded IT infrastructure.
- Protect data and systems using appropriate processes for data protection, disaster recovery, and failover procedures. Ensure that backups are performed regularly.
- Support users and ensure applications, workstations, access, and related issues are resolved with limited disruptions. Clearly notify users in advance of disruptions.
- Plan capacity and data storage and collaborate to improve database performance.
- Configure system and software security, manage security logs, perform periodic security audits and security testing, as appropriate. Health care experience securing environments for compliance with HIPAA, HiTech and 21st Century CURES Act a plus.
- Track systems changes in US Retina change-log and user-access database.
- Test and evaluate system configurations for security, operations, and performance.
- Work with external parties and collaborators, including vendors, contractors to set specifications system performance and operations. Work with those parties to ensure that specifications are met.
- Author code/scripts as needed to automate system administrative and other operational tasks. Preferred languages: Python, Powershell, AWS CLI.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Good working knowledge of Amazon Web Services including inter-region networking, security groups, ACLs, provisioning of instances, encryption, and logging.
- Strong knowledge of systems and networking software, hardware, and networking protocols used in cloud environments. Must have work experience with TCP/IP networking version 4 (IPv4) and troubleshooting techniques. IPv6 a plus.
- Experience with scripting and automation tools such as PowerShell, Linux shell environments, AWS CLI, etc.
- A proven track record of developing and implementing IT strategy and plans and helping to execute them.
- Strong knowledge of implementing and effectively developing IT operations best practices, including strong knowledge of security, storage, data protection, and disaster recovery protocols.
- Ability to use Office suite of products proficiently.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively (written/ oral/ media) with many different audiences: users, executives, vendor/partners, etc.
- Ability to comfortably administer Linux, Windows, and Office365, including managing users, establishing security, managing drives and devices, backups, logs, networking and using the command line interface.
- Proven ability to learn, adapt to changing situations, and to exercise good judgement.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others on a team, learn quickly, & prioritize deadlines and work with distributed, remote users.
- Knowledge of SQL in a PostgreSQL environment desired but not required.
- Ability to teach desired but not required.
- Ability to travel out-of-state up to 10% annually.
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, System Administration or closely related field, and or equivalent combination of course work, certification and/or experience.
- Required one or more of the following certifications and/or equivalent demonstrable experience: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Cisco/CCNA, Linux (Redhat), Microsoft hardware (installation), AWS.
- Two plus years IT work experience with client, server, and network service delivery.
- Two plus years of work experience of troubleshooting in a multi-user high availability environment.
- Two plus years of work experience in a professional environment.
- Two plus years of experience in PC repair, troubleshooting, deployment, and liquidation.
- AWS or other cloud certification or equivalent work experience desired but not required.
- Health care experience desired but not required.
Work Environment / Physical Requirements:
This position works remotely from home that requires prolonged sitting in front of a computer. Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office equipment including operation of standard computer and phone equipment.
Limitations & Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities, duties and skills required for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
65,000.00 – 105,000.00 per year
- Health Savings Account
- Employee Assistant Plan